Denzel Washington is a well-known actor and a filmmaker. Undoubtedly, Washington is one of the greatest actors that Hollywood has had the privilege to maximize his great talent. He has graced the silver screen with amazing skills and passion.
Washington is excellent at what he does. He always brings to life each role he plays and being a versatile actor has earned him a lot of respect and love. After joining the Hollywood more than 20 years ago, this film producer, director, two-time Oscar winner, and incredibly handsome movie star is still unstoppable.
Denzel Washington has received two Academy Awards- Best Actor Award in “Training Day” (2001) and Best Supporting Actor Award in “Glory” (1989). For that reason, he was named the first African-American actor to receive those two awards.
In addition to his great acting career, Denzel Washington has several interesting facts about him that reveal insights into whom he truly is. Having been featured in about 500 films, Washington is a true Hollywood legend and someone who certainly deserve high respect.
If you’ve not watched classics such as Malcolm X and Glory, then you have missed a lot from this veteran. Look for them now! For the rest, here the most interesting facts you probably didn’t about Denzel Washington.
- In 2001, Denzel became the second African-American actor to win an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role. Sidney Poitier was the first one. He won the award in 1963. Sidney also received an honorary Academy Award in 2001.
- Denzel was among the three individuals named by Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia to negotiate for the release of three defense contractors held captive by the group from 2003 to 2008. They also named Michael Moore and Oliver Stone (renowned directors).
- During a childhood basketball accident, Washington broke his right pinky finger. He never had it fixed. To date, the finger is still crooked; bent at the bottom knuckle. A complete 45 degrees outward from the rest of the fingers.
- Like several students out there battling with what they think they want to become in future or trying to identify their talents, Washington pursued a few courses before he discovered what he really wanted in life. Initially, Washington had the great desire to join medical field. He wanted to become a doctor. Therefore, he had to study biology at Fordham University. After a while, he changed his mind and pursued Political Science. Denzel was still unsettled, and he eventually dropped out of the school for a semester. He made the decision to work as a creative arts director at a YMCA summer camp. Washington discovered his acting talent while he was at the camp. He went back to college after being encouraged by friends at the camp and graduated with a B.A in Drama and Journalism.
- Denzel shares his first name with his father who was named after a doctor who delivered him. However, simply because they share the same name doesn’t mean that it’s pronounced the same. While his father places emphasis on the “Den,” Denzel puts stress on the last syllable “zel.”
- For nearly 25 years, Denzel has represented Boys and Girls Club for America as their national spokesperson. He has done this for a reason. Since his parents were often working, Denzel grew up in the club; on the weekends and after school. He even revealed that the organization played a key role in his journey of being the person he is today.
- Washington is a devout Christian. He has even thought of becoming a preacher. Ironically, he has played the role of a preacher in the film “The Preacher’s Wife.”
- Denzel Washington and his wife, Pauletta Pearson have been married for over thirty years. The couple has four kids, including a son who played for St. Louis Rams in the NFL.