Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the most famous actors in Hollywood. He has gone through various stages, coming from the humble background to become one of the most successful and famous actors in Hollywood. He began from a boisterous wild child in numerous commercial films then slowly took some serious steps to become an excellent dramatic actor.
Leonardo was born in Hollywood, California. He is the only child of George DiCaprio, a producer/distributor of comic books and an underground comics artist, and Irmelin, a legal secretary. Leonardo’s father is of German (from Bavaria) and Italian (from Naples) descent.
He has been a fixture in movies and TV since he was a kid, and over time he has established a favorable reputation amongst female and male fans alike. Let us describe it this way: men desire to be him; women desire to be with him.
Oscar-winning actor Leonardo DiCaprio has starred in great films such as ‘Titanic,’ ‘The Wolf of Wall Street,’ ‘Blood Diamond’ and ”The Aviator.’ DiCaprio is known for being a talented actor and dating beautiful supermodels. Here are interesting facts you probably didn’t know about Leonardo DiCaprio.
1. Leonardo openly endorsed John Kerry in the 2004 presidential election. He went around to eleven states and gave twenty speeches about the environment and how the George. W. Bush Administration has destroyed it.
2. He’s named after the artist Leonardo da Vinci. His pregnant mother was standing in front of a da Vinci painting the first time she felt DiCaprio kick.
3. During the 2008 Presidential election, Leonardo offered $2,800 to Obama’s campaign which is the highest amount a person can offer during an election.
4. In Nov. 2010, DiCaprio donated $1 million to the Wildlife Conservation Society at Russia’s tiger summit. Leonardo’s determination to arrive at the event even after encountering two plane delays made Vladimir Putin, then Prime Minister to describe him as a “real man.”
5. Leonardo is an ardent activist for gay rights. In April 2013, he contributed $61,000 to GLAAD, an organization that promotes the LGBT people’s image in the media.
6. When DiCaprio was eleven and trying to secure an acting job, an agent tried to persuade him to change his name since it sounded too “ethnic.” The agent advised Leonardo to changes his name to Lenny Williams to guarantee wider appeal and declined to sign him unless the actor agreed with the idea. But, Leonardo opted to stick with his birth name. Fortunately, an agent signed him when he was thirteen years old.
7. In March of 1998, Leonardo sued Playgirl after finding out the magazine’s plans to publish nude photos of him.
8. While filming an intense dinner scene in Django Unchained movie, he accidentally slammed his hand into a glass. His hand was cut severely. But, Leonardo DiCaprio still managed to finish the scene with his bloody hand making it to the last cut of the movie.
9. Revealing his near death experience with the shark during his diving expedition at The Ellen DeGeneres Show in Cape Town, South Africa; back in 2006, DiCaprio came face to face with the Great White Shark that ended up coming halfway into a cage in which he was in.
DiCaprio reacted quickly and moved to the bottom of the cage. The shark took few gnaws at him, Leo tried to keep his distance and made out of the cage without any scratch. At another incident, DiCaprio again witnessed near-death experience when his parachute would not open while skydiving. Fortunately, his instructor saved him out of the dangerous situation.
10. Leonardo got 17 stitches after being attacked. In 2005, he was attending a party in Los Angeles. Model Aretha Wilson savagely smashed a bottle against the side of his face, causing Leonardo to get 17 stitches. He almost lost his eye. Wilson was jailed for 2 years for the vicious attack.
11. DiCaprio is a high school dropout. Proving that if you do not get on with your education, you can still make it big. In his junior year, the actor dropped out of high school. He decided to pursue his acting instead. He attended a free drama school.