Robert De Niro is a well-known American actor and producer who has starred in more than 100 films. He’s regarded as one of the greatest actors in American history. He’s the star of the iconic films such as Raging Bull, Silver Linings Playbook, Taxi Driver and The Godfather: Part II.
To be honest, Robert is a living testimony that anyone can achieve his or her dreams regardless of their background. He never knew he’d find himself in the movie industry. The acting wasn’t on his list of priorities.
Actually, he never knew he wanted to act until when walked out of a cinema theater at the age of 17. He was feeling ambitious about acting, and he even declared to his friends that he was going to a movie actor.
When this statement came out, neither his friends nor his close allies would believe him until he dropped out of high school during his senior year. Robert then enrolled in Stella Adler’s acting school. And that is how his acting career started. The rest is history.
As one of the greatest film actors, we ought to celebrate Robert’s remarkable talent and career. Therefore, this article will focus top interesting facts you probably didn’t about the actor. Hope you enjoy!
- While it’s difficult to find an actor like him, Robert considers himself a method actor. Once he has signed to play a particular role, he always goes ahead to spend a significant amount of time doing research or establishing wide-ranging backgrounds for each of his characters. It shows that this guy really loves what he does.
- Having worked together with Scorsese in Mean Streets, the two went on to establish a successful working relationship. They produce films such as The King of Comedy (1983), New York, New York (1977), Cape Fear (1991), Taxi Driver (1976), Raging Bull (1980), and Casino (1995).
- In 1998, while shooting a film in France, the French Police took him in for questioning over allegations of a prostitution ring. He denied the claims. Later in an interview, he said, “I’ll never return to France.”
- Robert has remained a strong Democratic Party supporter. In the 2000 presidential election, he supported Albert Gore, Jr., the Democratic Party candidate, and John Kerry in the 2004 presidential election. In 2008 he supported the former president of United States, Barack Obama and even organized a fundraiser for his re-election campaign.
- Robert married Diahnne Abbott in 1976, and they had a son, but they separated in 1988. After nine years, he got married to actress, Grace Hightower in 1997 and had a son also, but divorced after two years. However, they didn’t finalize their divorce, and that is why they renewed their relationship in 2004.
- Robert was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2003. The good news is that the condition was still manageable and he underwent a successful surgery at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in Dec. 2003
- Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese have always been together when it comes to movie production. They have had a good relationship while working on different films. But, what many people might not know is that the actor and the director grew up in Greenwich Village, Manhattan area, New York; only blocks apart. The two did know each other when they were kids. It was only in 1972, when they were introduced to each other at a house party, did they realized they had met several times but had never spoken.
- De Niro has worked with several fantastic actresses and actors over the years. Who was his favorite? Ray Liotta? Marlon Brando? Joe Pesci? No, none of them. He revealed that his favorite actress Meryl Streep, who he’s starred in many films with, including Falling in Love (1984), The Deer Hunter (1978), and Marvin’s Room (1996).