Owen had initially examined the bones from three unique creatures– Iguanadon (“iguana tooth”), Megalosaurus, and Hylaeosaurus (“woodland lizard”). Each one of them lived on land, was bigger than any living reptile, walked with their legs directly under their bodies instead of out to the sides and had three additional vertebrae in their hips compared to other known reptiles.
Using this information, Owen realized that the three formed a special group of reptiles that he named Dinosauria. The word comes from the old Greek word deinos (“terrible”) and sauros (“reptile” or “lizard”).
Dinosaurs survived for over 700,000 years after the earth was hit by a huge meteorite initially believed to have resulted in their extinction, according to new research.
Dinosaurs wandered the Earth more than 200 million years ago and were the very dominant terrestrial vertebrate for 135 million years. It is believed their extinction was as a result of variations in the climate they could not adapt to. Birds are the only closest relative of a dinosaur which we have today.
Dinosaur is a topic many people feel they have some knowledge of it. After all, almost everyone has seen or heard of the blockbuster movie Jurassic Park, and young kids are often the experts in any house on the names, sizes, shapes, and eating characters of these ancient reptiles.
Honestly, several people can tell you that dinosaurs were really huge, and that some of them had feathers, and that they became extinct 65 million years ago. But how deep does their knowledge of Mesozoic Era, and the dinosaurs, really go?
From having absurdly big teeth to having a literally very doubtful mating practice, here are our top 10 really interesting facts about dinosaurs.
Interesting Dinosaur Facts
- One of the smallest dinosaurs ever discovered had the size of a chicken and ate insects.
- The world’s oldest known “toilet” was only used by dinosaurs about 240 million years ago.
- Dinosaurs lived on all the continents, including Antarctica.
- The oldest known dinosaur is called Eoraptor, a meat-eater which lived 228 million years ago.
- The dinosaur noises in the “Jurassic Park” movie were simply made from recordings of tortoise sex!
- The smallest known dinosaur was nearly 4 inches (10 cm) tall and weighed less than a chihuahua.
- If the history of Earth were summarized into 24 hours, life would have appeared at 4 am, land plants at 10:24 pm, dinosaur’s extinction at 11:41 pm and the human history would have started at 11:58:43 pm.
- There is a limestone cliff with more than 5,000 dinosaur footprints in Bolivia, with most of them dating back 68 million years.
- Dinosaurs aren’t, technically, extinct, since birds are still considered scientifically as a type of dinosaur.
- The color of all dinosaurs remains mysterious because nobody was alive at during that time in history.