Ever since the great discovery of DNA molecules as the major building blocks of life, there are several facts and myths about DNA being confirmed, dismissed and claimed, as science remains to seek the reality of what we are actually made of as a species.
Though some truths about DNA have partially or entirely faded into the background, fresher, fascinating discoveries emerge continually, making us realize that we have only scratched a surface in understanding how this molecule actually works.
In fact, this Understanding DNA has created modern understandings of what it really means to be a human being. We have been able to clone animals, enhance law enforcement, and even look back at our genetic similarity with other species. Even now we are discovering new things about DNA constantly.
DNA is a magical component that has added beauty and truth to life on our planet. Just imagine a typical microscopic cell with the nucleus and the phenomenon DNA within each nucleus of the cell performing very well in providing us an opportunity to live life very gorgeously. In other words, DNA can be introduced as an essential component of the cell to transmit hereditary material which is very crucial in the evolution of life. The human genome is 97 percent identical to gorilla genome and 98 percent identical to a chimpanzee. Therefore, we must not be astonished to say that we’re more like chimps.
DNA is the biological molecule which is responsible for the growth and functioning of every distinct living thing on Erath. It codes for any physical and the physiological processes of all living organisms. In simple words, it’s a clear blueprint of life. Also, DNA creates the hereditary genetic unit which causes the passing of specific characteristics from the parents to their offspring. Despite such a diverse and enormous function, the DNA molecule consists of different variations of only 4 basic units, known as nucleotides or DNA bases. Juxtapositions in the present sequence of their manifestation have increased the plethora of various biological species observed on Earth
Some scientists thought that the early Earth established some environmental conditions which increased something known as a ‘primordial soup.’ Supposedly, this liquid contained primary building blocks, which merged to develop the early life-form on the planet. Another theory claims that life forms arrived on Earth via meteorites and then flourished and changed on earth. However, these theories are extremely contested, and various scientists are still undecided about the origin of DNA and even life. Even though the origins stays unclear, scientists have deciphered a remarkable deal about this important molecule. Check out these fascinating facts about the building blocks of life (DNA).
1. All human beings have the DNA structure which is 99.9 percent similar, and the last 0.01 percent is sufficient to identify various DNA sequences (to tell apart that DNA belongs to which person).
2. Although it codes for all the information which makes up a living organism, DNA is built using only 4 building blocks, the nucleotides adenine, cytosine, thymine, and guanine.
3. The genome of siblings is 98 percent alike while it’s 100 percent similar for twins.
4. Genes constitute just 3 to 5 percent of the whole genome of an organism.
5. Mitochondrial DNA can assist in identifying maternal ancestry.
6. Genetic screening of the genome can help in determining disease risks.
7. DNA analysis is used to prove the authenticity of foods such as wine and caviar.
8. It would take an individual typing 60 words per minute, 8 hours a day, approximately 50 years to type the human genome.
9. Men have lost the DNA code which once made human penises spiny.
10. Scientists have discovered that a total of 510 DNA codes have been lost during the human evolution process.